Research Scientist, Pancreas Tissue Engineering
Location: Vancouver, BC
We are seeking a talented and motivated Research Scientist to join our multidisciplinary R&D team dedicated to driving our therapeutic portfolio from discovery stage to clinical manufacturing. This role will involve taking significant ownership of the strategic design and development of our 3D bioprinted pancreas tissue therapeutic. You should have a passion for driving high-impact projects and are expected to make major scientific, laboratory-based contributions to the research goals of our life-saving therapeutic programs. In this exciting role, you will be working closely with a team of cell biologists, biomaterials experts, and engineers, along with senior management, to develop bioprinted tissue therapeutics that will transform the way we treat disease.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Independently design, shape, and execute scientific studies such as developing and testing fibre architectures and compositions for our implantable, bioprinted tissues.
- Design and develop fabrication methodologies for implantable tissues, including development and application of biomaterials that support pancreatic islets viability and function in vivo.
- Optimize bioinks to promote long term function of pancreatic islets in implantable bioprinted tissues.
- Contribute technical expertise on oxygen and nutrient distribution kinetics across biomaterials to shape therapeutic strategies and programs.
- Drive key program milestones and direction by analyzing data, interpreting results, and presenting information through experimental reports and presentations.
- Maintain clear and rigorous experimental records, including electronic laboratory notebooks.
- Become an expert user of Aspect’s microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology.
- Proactively investigate and improve existing methods and techniques by creating or improving standard operating procedures.
- Collaborate with biologists, biomaterial scientists, and engineers to customize architectural design for specific indications, including cell therapies.
- Contribute to intellectual property disclosures and other technical documentation.
WHO YOU ARE
- Education: MSc or PhD in cell biology, bioengineering, or related discipline.
- Professional Experience: You have 3+ years of experience in a post-doctoral, biotech, or commercial setting.
- Tissue engineering expert: Subject matter expert in pancreatic tissue engineering.
- Detail-Oriented: You have outstanding attention to detail and experimental and process rigour. You take pride in your work and strive for excellence.
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- Thrive in Ambiguity: You are regarded as highly adaptable, agile, and poised when faced with change, ambiguity, and competing priorities.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
WHO WE ARE
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company combining the power of microfluidics and 3D bioprinting to create bioprinted therapeutics. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to move the needle on 3D bioprinting and work towards a future where our technology is used to save lives and make people healthier.
We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Our team is always excited to learn and roll up our sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. We believe that every person on our team is a key contributor to our success. If you are committed to make a real impact and accelerate the development of biotechnology, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.