Biomaterials Scientist, Immunology
Location: Vancouver, BC
As a Biomaterials Scientist, you will be valued member of a multidisciplinary R&D team focused on the development of cell-based implantable tissue therapeutics from discovery stage through scale up to clinical manufacturing. This role will involve taking significant ownership over the design, generation, and testing of biomaterials customized for bioprinting therapeutic cells in tissue devices optimized for transplantation. By working closely with our team of scientists and engineers, along with senior management, you will play a central role in the development of material strategy solutions for bioprinted tissue therapeutics.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Design, develop, and functionalize novel synthetic polymers and natural biomaterials that support therapeutic cell function and tissue transplant durability.
- Develop strategies and formulations for biomaterials that enable: 1) therapeutic cell encapsulation, maintenance of cell function, and immune-protection, 2) bioprinted tissue oxygenation and vascularization, and 3) limiting of host foreign body response.
- Create and execute assays to characterize biomaterial formulations for physicochemical properties, printability, biological activity, stability, and toxicity.
- Work closely with biologists and engineers to customize biomaterial formulations for specific therapeutic tissue applications, including cell therapies for metabolic disease.
- Liaise with our manufacturing and regulatory team to develop stage-appropriate biomaterial manufacturing processes, scalable sourcing of materials, and quality assurance measures for pre-clinical and clinical studies.
- Create SOPs, deliver experimental reports, support patent applications, and present experimental results to key internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to development of project milestones, timelines, and product deliverables in collaboration with senior R&D management and tissue therapeutic program teams.
- Maintain clear and rigorous experimental records, including electronic lab notebooks.
- Become an expert user of Aspect’s microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology.
WHO YOU ARE
- Education: PhD in chemistry, materials science, biomedical engineering or similar discipline.
- Professional Experience: 2+ years in a post-doctoral, biotech or industry position, with experience developing materials for clinical applications is preferred.
- Biomaterials Experience: You have significant academic or industry experience in polymer design, synthesis, functionalizing, and processing for drug delivery, 3D cell biology, tissue engineering, or therapeutic tissue applications. You have worked extensively with synthetic or natural biomaterials and developed strategies to characterize bioactivity and assure quality for in vitro and in vivo applications. Experience in bio-ink formulation for 3D printing or testing of biomaterials in pre-clinical models or clinical applications is helpful.
- Detail-Oriented: You have outstanding attention to detail, and experimental and process rigour. You take pride in your work and strive for excellence in the work you do.
- Effective Communicator: You are an active listener who can communicate to different audiences in diverse situations.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
WHO WE ARE
Aspect Biosystems is an established biotech startup pioneering the microfluidic 3D bioprinting of human tissues. Our bold team of scientists, engineers, and business professionals have joined us from all over the globe to move the needle on 3D bioprinting and work towards a future where our technology is used to save lives and make people healthier. We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Our team is always excited to learn and roll up our sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech.
We believe that every person on our team is a key contributor to our success. If you are committed to make a real impact and accelerate the development of biotechnology, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.