Technology and Patent Analyst
Location: Vancouver, BC
We are seeking a Technology and Patent Analyst to play a vital role in the expansion of our technology stack and associated patent portfolio. To be successful, you will use your strong scientific background and technical communication skills to assess the strategic opportunity and the patentability of intellectual property generated by our internal R&D team and external research collaborators. You will do this by directly liaising with R&D teams, performing in-depth technical assessments, including literature and patent searches and analyses, leading the drafting and preparation of new patent filings, and supporting the maintenance of our existing patent portfolio. This work is essential to the development of our broad IP portfolio and to strengthen Aspect’s position as the global leader in 3D bioprinting of therapeutic tissues. This is an incredible opportunity for an aspiring scientific entrepreneur looking for foundational experience in the biotechnology industry. For the right individual, this role presents significant growth potential into many different career paths in the biotech industry, including R&D, business, and corporate development.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Provide detailed assessments of patentability of new innovations by utilizing a wide range of resources including datasheets, schematics, technical papers, presentations, and inventor interviews.
- Attend R&D meetings and interface directly with scientists and engineers to generate detailed descriptions of new inventions.
- Work with internal leadership and external IP counsel to coordinate drafting and filing of new patent applications.
- Support the maintenance and maturation of existing intellectual property assets.
- Track and analyze competitive and/or complementary patent portfolios to support in-licensing and M&A activity. Identify and assess technologies by using available databases and resources to understand the technical nuances of external technologies.
- Provide support to R&D, Corporate, and Business Development teams on an as-needed basis.
- Use the results of detailed analyses, as well as market information, to make recommendations regarding in-licensing. Present results to senior management and technical staff.
- Build and maintain proficiency with commercial patent databases and other proprietary tools.
- Maintain up-to-date records of all current and prospective patenting and licensing opportunities.
- Contribute information to grant applications and scientific publications as necessary.
WHO YOU ARE
- Education: PhD or MSc in biochemistry or a biological discipline (e.g. tissue engineering, bioengineering, immunology, microbiology, genetics, neurobiology, molecular biology, cell biology).
- Strong Scientific Foundations: You live and breathe science and have deep knowledge of industry trends. You have a background in scientific research (academic or industrial) ideally at the Post-Doctorate level.
- Required Experience: While previous experience assessing or managing new inventions is NOT critical, you should be able to provide strong evidence of an interest in intellectual property and have a basic understanding of how a patent is structured and the process for obtaining a patent.
- Beneficial Experience: Up to 3 years of relevant work experience managing intellectual property assets in a law firm, high technology corporation, or university technology transfer setting will set you apart. Designation as a Patent Agent or experience as a Patent Agent Trainee or Technical Advisor at a law firm, will be considered an additional asset.
- Effective Communicator: You have superior written and verbal communication skills. You are an active listener who can communicate to different audiences in diverse situations.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven, and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
- Detail-Oriented: You sweat the small stuff when it comes to detail, you take pride in your work, and you strive for excellence in the work you do.
- Flexible Work Schedule: You have the flexibility to work varying hours to support multiple time zones.
WHO WE ARE
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company combining the power of microfluidics and 3D bioprinting to create bioprinted therapeutics. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to move the needle on 3D bioprinting and work towards a future where our technology is used to save lives and make people healthier.
We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Our team is always excited to learn and roll up our sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. We believe that every person on our team is a key contributor to our success. If you are committed to make a real impact and accelerate the development of biotechnology, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.