Stem Cell Biologist
Location: Vancouver, BC
As a Stem Cell Biologist, you will be part of a multidisciplinary R&D team focused on the development of scalable therapeutic cells for their inclusion in life-changing, cell-based implantable bioprinted therapeutics. In this role, you will perform in vitro testing to qualify multiple stem cell and primary cell sources. You will also develop scalable cell manufacturing processes to use in implantable 3D therapeutic devices fabricated using our microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology. This is an exciting opportunity for you to work closely with a team of tissue engineers, biomaterials experts, and biologists to develop the therapeutic cell payload of bioprinted tissues that could transform the way we treat diseases such as diabetes and liver disease.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop robust, scaled protocols for pluripotent stem cell expansion or directed differentiation, and optimize the culture of primary cell types.
- Develop cell manufacturing and processing technologies in support of product development from pre-clinical, to clinical, to commercial scale.
- Perform in vitro assays to assess the viability and function of multiple cell types and qualify specific cell sources for further development of 3D bioprinted tissues.
- Apply DOE/QBD principles to process characterization, establish process parameters, and contribute to CMC sections of regulatory filings.
- Work closely with external partners to participate in technology transfer for cell scale-up manufacturing and GMP production.
- Work closely with tissue engineers, biomaterials experts, and biologists to optimize therapeutic cell performance in bioprinted tissues.
- Create experimental reports and present experimental results to key internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain clear and rigorous experimental records, including electronic laboratory notebooks.
- Become an expert user of Aspect’s microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology.
WHO YOU ARE
- Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biological Sciences (cell biology, bioengineering, or other related discipline). PhD in cell biology or similar discipline would be an advantage.
- Professional Experience: 2+ years in a biotech, industry, or post-doctoral position with experience developing robust stem cell differentiation protocols is preferred.
- Cell Biology Experience: You are well-versed in aseptic technique, stem cell expansion and differentiation, and primary mammalian cell culture. You have extensive experience performing assays to characterize cell viability and functional assays including ELISA, fluorescence microscopy, and colorimetric-based assays.
- Beneficial Experience: Experience culturing and assaying the function of primary pancreatic islets, primary liver hepatocytes, ESC and/or iPSC-derived pancreatic and/or liver cells. Experience culturing organoids in 3D culture systems.
- Valuable Skills: Experience in cell encapsulation. Strong understanding of GMP requirements for cell therapy products.
- Detail-Oriented: You have outstanding attention to detail and experimental and process rigour. You take pride in your work and strive for excellence.
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
WHO WE ARE
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company combining the power of microfluidics and 3D bioprinting to create bioprinted therapeutics. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to move the needle on 3D bioprinting and work towards a future where our technology is used to save lives and make people healthier.We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Our team is always excited to learn and roll up our sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. We believe that every person on our team is a key contributor to our success. If you are committed to make a real impact and accelerate the development of biotechnology, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
We very much appreciate your interest in a position at Aspect and thank all candidates for applying. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.