Software Development Engineer
Location: Vancouver, BC
We are seeking a Software Development Engineer to join our mission to bring lifesaving bioprinted therapeutics to the clinic through the application of our microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology. You will take significant ownership of the development of Aspect’s tissue design and printer control software suites, which power bioprinted tissue therapeutic design and development. As part of this effort, you will be a key contributor to Aspect’s highly multidisciplinary team, interacting routinely with software and mechatronics engineers, biologists, biomaterial scientists, and tissue engineers.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Contribute to the development of cross-platform front-end and back-end software projects for Aspect’s 3D bioprinting technology.
- Design and implement 3D tissue design and printer control programs for application and embedded code bases.
- Plan, create, and execute unit/system tests on new software components.
- Provide feedback on Aspect’s products and contribute to technical product development discussions.
- Deliver clean, maintainable, documented, and tested code for production.
- Work with internal researchers to support lab activities with new software features.
- Work with the Academic Partnerships team to troubleshoot and fix external partner issues.
- Maintain rigorous documentation records following Aspect’s standards.
- Become a proficient user of Aspect’s 3D bioprinting technology for software testing purposes.
WHO YOU ARE
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, engineering, or equivalent.
- Required Technical Experience:
- 2+ years of experience working in a commercial environment.
- 3+ years of experience working with Python and/or C# (.NET, UWP/WPF, XAML).
- Designing and developing real-time hardware control and imaging applications.
- Developing and deploying Windows applications in a commercial environment.
- Thorough understanding of design patterns, data structures and algorithms.
- Working understanding of Git and version control practices.
- Preferred Technical Experience:
- 3D rendering and slicing libraries.
- OpenCV, Linux, Nvidia Jetson platform.
- Designing and implementing UIs for complex software tools.
- Experience with 3D printers and accompanying software tools.
- Experience working with biologists in a laboratory setting.
- Problem Solver: Demonstrated ability to identify innovative working solutions to problems with challenging constraints.
- Effective Communicator: You have superior written and verbal communication skills. You are an active listener who can communicate to different audiences in diverse situations.
- Detail oriented: You have outstanding attention to detail, and experimental and process rigor. You take pride in your work and strive for excellence in the work you do.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven, and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
WHO WE ARE
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company combining the power of microfluidics and 3D bioprinting to create bioprinted therapeutics. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to move the needle on 3D bioprinting and work towards a future where our technology is used to save lives and make people healthier.
We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Our team is always excited to learn and roll up our sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. We believe that every person on our team is a key contributor to our success. If you are committed to make a real impact and accelerate the development of biotechnology, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.
This position is supported by the Digital Skills for Youth Program.