Research Scientist, Liver
Location: Vancouver, BC
As a Research Scientist on the liver team, you will join a multidisciplinary R&D team focused on the development and qualification of bioprinted primary and stem cell-derived tissue therapeutics. In this role, you will develop, validate, and execute on in vitro assays to qualify the cells and biomaterials that are integrated into 3D therapeutic devices using our microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology. You will also be involved in testing bioprinted tissue therapeutic devices that have been implanted into animals for pre-clinical testing. This is an exciting opportunity for you to work closely with a team of tissue engineers, biomaterials experts, and biologists to qualify and optimize performance of bioprinted tissues that could transform the way we treat diseases such as diabetes and liver disease.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Plan experiments to develop and refine candidate cell therapies for the treatment of liver failure.
- Develop, qualify, and conduct assays to ensure bioprinted tissue health, function, and permeability prior to and following implantation in small and/or large animals.
- Preparation, expansion, processing, and culture of therapeutic cells prior to and after 3D bioprinting.
- Monitor experiments for unexpected results and troubleshoot non-functioning methods.
- Conduct in vitro assays to assess primary and stem cells using vital dye and immune-based assays.
- Assist in process development and integration of QC/QA measures for bioprinted tissue therapeutic products.
- Work closely with tissue engineers, biomaterials experts, and biologists to optimize therapeutic cell performance in bioprinted tissues.
- Create experimental reports and present experimental results to key internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain clear and rigorous experimental records, including electronic laboratory notebooks.
- Become an expert user of Aspect’s microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology.
WHO YOU ARE
- Education: PhD in cell biology or a related discipline.
- Professional Experience: 4+ years of experience in an academic or industrial setting working with mammalian hepatocyte cell culture. Industrial experience is preferred.
- Cell Biology Experience: You are well-versed in aseptic technique and primary or stem cell culture. You have extensive experience performing assays to characterize cell viability and functional assays including ELISA, fluorescence microscopy, and colorimetric-based assays. You have experience working with animals and analyzing tissues using morphological, histological, and genomic techniques.
- Beneficial Experience: Experience culturing and assaying the function of ESC and/or iPSC-derived liver cells. Experience culturing spheroids or organoids in 3D culture systems. Experience with ECM biomaterials in 3D cell culture. Experience in flow cytometry, FACS, and related single cell techniques. Strong understanding of GMP requirements.
- Detail-Oriented: You have outstanding attention to detail and experimental and process rigour. You take pride in your work and strive for excellence.
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
WHO WE ARE
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company combining the power of microfluidics and 3D bioprinting to create bioprinted therapeutics. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to move the needle on 3D bioprinting and work towards a future where our technology is used to save lives and make people healthier.
We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Our team is always excited to learn and roll up our sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. We believe that every person on our team is a key contributor to our success. If you are committed to make a real impact and accelerate the development of biotechnology, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.