Research Scientist - Assay Development
Location: Vancouver, BC
We are seeking a Research Scientist in Assay Development to be part of our multidisciplinary R&D team focused on the development and qualification of bioprinted primary and stem cell-derived tissue therapeutics. In this role, you will develop, validate, and execute on in vitro assays to qualify the cells and biomaterials that are integrated into 3D therapeutic devices using our microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology. You will also be involved in testing of bioprinted tissue therapeutic devices that have been implanted into animals for pre-clinical testing. This is an exciting opportunity for you to work closely with a team of tissue engineers, biomaterials experts, and biologists to qualify and optimize performance of bioprinted tissues that could transform the way we treat diseases.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop, qualify, and execute on in vitro assays to assess primary or stem cell-derived culture health and function, using vital dye-based and immuno-assays.
- Assist in the preparation, expansion, processing, and culture of therapeutic cells prior to 3D bioprinting.
- Develop, qualify, and execute on assays to ensure bioprinted tissue health, function, and permeability prior to and following implantation in small and/or large animals.
- Assist in process development and integration of QC/QA measures for bioprinted tissue therapeutic products.
- Assist in surgical implantation and retrieval of bioprinted therapeutic tissues for analysis of device performance, durability, and biocompatibility.
- Create SOPs, deliver experimental reports, support patent applications, and present experimental results to key internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to development of project milestones, timelines, and product deliverables, working with senior R&D management and therapeutic tissue program teams.
- Maintain clear and rigorous experimental records, including electronic laboratory notebooks.
- Pro-actively investigate and improve existing methods and techniques.
- Become an expert user of Aspect’s microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology.
- Contribute technical expertise in vascular biology to shape therapeutic strategies and programs.
WHO YOU ARE
- Education: MSc or PhD in cell biology, bioengineering, or similar discipline.
- Professional Experience: 5+ years of laboratory experience working in the field of cell therapy or tissue engineering.
- Cell Culture Experience: Experience in mammalian cell culture and cell-based assay development in an aseptic environment.
- Microscopy Expert: You are whiz when in comes to microscopy and advanced techniques.
- Analysis Experience: Familiarity with statistical analysis software such as Prism.
- Detail-Oriented: You have outstanding attention to detail as well as experimental and process rigour. You take pride in your work and strive for excellence.
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
WHO WE ARE
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company combining the power of microfluidics and 3D bioprinting to create bioprinted therapeutics. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to move the needle on 3D bioprinting and work towards a future where our technology is used to save lives and make people healthier.
We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Our team is always excited to learn and roll up our sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. We believe that every person on our team is a key contributor to our success. If you are committed to make a real impact and accelerate the development of biotechnology, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.