Mechatronics Engineer Co-op
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Full-Time, 4 or 8 months
Start date: January, 2022
We are seeking a Mechatronics Engineer Co-op to join Aspect’s highly multidisciplinary technology development team. During this co-op, you will help develop our bioprinting technology, manufacturing processes, custom instrumentation, jigs, and automation systems for our microfluidic device manufacturing. You will tackle novel and challenging technical problems that intersect multiple engineering domains, with the certainty that your work has an impact on the company and our vision. Using your natural intuition for design, you will provide innovative and realistic solutions to unique technical challenges and turn a prototype into a high-quality product.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Perform product R&D activities related to Aspect’s bioprinting technology.
- Design printer components and technologies from concept to final product.
- Rapidly design, build, and test prototypes that involve many physical domains such as: pneumatic, hydraulic, electrical, optical, thermal, and mechanical.
- Refine, test, model, and characterize winning designs for product integration with a holistic view of the final product.
- Support the development of mechanical and mechatronic automation systems used to improve the efficiency and quality of manufacturing processes.
- Help develop mechanical jigs and fixtures for assembling microfluidic devices.
- Assist in the sourcing, set up, and maintenance of manufacturing equipment and manufacturing facility infrastructure.
- Rigorously document all work, following and championing documentation standards.
- Conduct experiments to improve, discover, and test manufacturing processes.
- Identify innovative and realistic solutions to broad engineering challenges.
WHO YOU ARE
- Education: Student enrolled in engineering or physics
- Experience: Previous work experience in a product design team or manufacturing setting.
- Experience in Electrical Systems: Extensive experience working with electrical instrumentation such as oscilloscopes, arbitrary waveform generators, amplifiers, power supplies, multimeters, etc.
- Knowledgeable about first principles: Excellent understanding of physical first principles and a demonstrated ability to use that understanding to inform design decisions.
- Tech Savvy: Expert user of SolidWorks and KiCAD software.
- Problem Solver: Demonstrated ability to identify innovative working solutions to problems with challenging constraints.
- Effective Communicator: You are an active listener who can communicate to different audiences in diverse situations.
WHO WE ARE
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company combining the power of microfluidics and 3D bioprinting to create bioprinted therapeutics. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to move the needle on 3D bioprinting and work towards a future where our technology is used to save lives and make people healthier.
We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Our team is always excited to learn and roll up our sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. We believe that every person on our team is a key contributor to our success. If you are committed to make a real impact and accelerate the development of biotechnology, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.