Cell Biologist Co-op
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Full-Time, 4 or 8 months
Start date: January, 2022
We are seeking a Cell Biologist Co-op to join Aspect’s multidisciplinary R&D team focused on the development of 3D bioprinted human tissues for in vitro drug testing and as life-changing, cell-based implantable tissue therapeutics. In this role, you will provide support to the design, manufacturing, and testing of 3D bioprinted human tissues for pre-clinical use and as therapeutic devices by using Aspect’s microfluidic bioprinting technology. This is an exciting opportunity for you to work closely with a team of cell biologists, biomaterials experts, and engineers to develop bioprinted tissues that could transform the way we develop medicines and treat disease.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Help develop 3D bioprinted human tissue models using Aspect’s microfluidic bioprinting technology and adopt culture systems to support tissue viability and function in vitro.
- Support the long-term maintenance of bioprinted human tissue models using advanced 3D cell culture techniques.
- Perform in vitro assays to assess the health, function, and maturation of 3D tissues in vitro, including techniques such as cell viability assays, immunostaining, and ELISA.
- Work closely with biologists, biomaterial scientists and engineers to optimize bioprinted tissue performance.
- Create experimental reports and present experimental results to key stakeholders.
- Maintain clear and rigorous experimental records, including electronic laboratory notebooks.
- Become an expert user of Aspect’s microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology.
WHO YOU ARE
- Education: Student enrolled in cell biology, biomedical engineering, biochemistry, or similar program.
- Professional Experience: Previous work experience executing research and development in a wet lab setting. You can design and execute experiments, conduct technical literature searches, and have a full understanding of the research and development process.
- Tissue Engineering Experience: You have hands-on experience with aseptic technique,mammalian cell culture, experimental techniques for analyzing cell cultures (ELISA, colorimetric assays, immunostaining, fluorescence microscopy), and data analysis.
- Beneficial Experience: Experience working with primary cells, iPSC-derived cells, or organoids in 3D culture systems would be advantageous.
- Detail-Oriented: You have outstanding attention to detail and experimental and process rigour. You take pride in your work and strive for excellence.
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
WHO WE ARE
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company combining the power of microfluidics and 3D bioprinting to create bioprinted therapeutics. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to move the needle on 3D bioprinting and work towards a future where our technology is used to save lives and make people healthier.
We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Our team is always excited to learn and roll up our sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. We believe that every person on our team is a key contributor to our success. If you are committed to make a real impact and accelerate the development of biotechnology, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.