Location: Vancouver, BC
As a Biomedical Engineer, you will be part of a multidisciplinary R&D team focused on development of life-changing, cell-based implantable tissue therapeutics from discovery-stage through scale up to clinical manufacturing. This role will involve taking significant ownership over the strategic design and fabrication of bioprinted tissue devices that maintain durable, therapeutic function following transplantation by using and adapting Aspect’s microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology. In this exciting role, you will be working closely with a team of cell biologists, biomaterials experts, and engineers, along with senior management, to develop bioprinted tissue therapeutics that could transform the way we treat disease.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Design, develop, and fabricate novel bioprinted cell-containing implantable devices that support therapeutic cell function and tissue transplant durability.
- Develop bioprinting technology to generate optimized micro- and macro-architectures of bioprinted tissues that support therapeutic cell function, immune protection, vascularization, and minimized foreign body response.
- Design and test optimal surgical approaches for implantation of cellular devices.
- Perform in vitro and in vivo assays to assess device function.
- Work closely with biologists, biomaterial scientists and engineers to customize device composition and architectural design for specific indications, including cell therapies for metabolic disease.
- Liaise with our manufacturing and regulatory team to develop stage-appropriate device manufacturing processes.
- Create SOPs, deliver experimental reports, support patent applications, and present experimental results to key internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to development of project milestones, timelines, and product deliverables, working with senior R&D management and therapeutic tissue program teams.
- Maintain clear and rigorous experimental records, including electronic laboratory notebooks.
- Become an expert user of Aspect’s microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology.
WHO YOU ARE
- Education: PhD in biomedical engineering or similar discipline.
- Professional Experience: 2+ years in a post-doctoral, biotech or industry position, with experience developing implantable cell-containing devices is preferred.
- Biomedical Engineering Experience: You will have a rigorous grounding in fundamental biology and physiology combined with in-depth engineering design and computational foundations. You will have significant academic or industry experience in developing implantable cell-containing tissues or devices for implantation.
- Beneficial Experience: Tissue engineering, and experience in 3D bioprinting and testing devices in pre-clinical models or clinical applications is helpful. Knowledge of Solidworks or similar CAD software would be advantageous.
- Detail-Oriented: You have outstanding attention to detail and experimental and process rigour. You take pride in your work and strive for excellence.
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
WHO WE ARE
Aspect Biosystems is an established biotech startup pioneering the microfluidic 3D bioprinting of human tissues. Our bold team of scientists, engineers, and business professionals have joined us from all over the globe to move the needle on 3D bioprinting and work towards a future where our technology is used to save lives and make people healthier. We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Our team is always excited to learn and roll up our sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech.
We believe that every person on our team is a key contributor to our success. If you are committed to make a real impact and accelerate the development of biotechnology, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
We very much appreciate your interest in a position at Aspect and thank all candidates for applying. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.